General News (Posted 22/08/2010)
· Visit by our fraternal colleagues from St Albans South, February (see The Signal, Spring 2010)
· Joint Event with Romsey Railway Modellers' Society, March, a great success (see The Signal, Spring 2010)
· The Friends' AGM held in June: Dick Hewett (re-)elected as Honorary President; Dick's Leaving Event attended by the Mayor and Mayoress of Test Valley and the Mayor and Mayoress of Romsey, by friends old and new, and by members of Romsey & District Buildings Preservation Trust and Romsey & District Society (see next issue of The Signal for full details)
· S&T Working Party now operate as a sub-committee, also agree plans to develop the outside signalling installation, existing S&T works inside the signal box continue.
· We acquire new signals, thanks to Epping-Ongar Railway, also new signal repeaters.
· Clive Millward, Site Manager, joins S&T Working Party.
· Mike Walshaw, S&T Lead, takes temporary break to work on Swanage Railway's new Corfe Castle Signal Box, and is thanked for his input by the Friends.
· Site works continue, including new telegraph pole(!), thanks to Clive, Joan, Rod, Gavin and others.
· Younger folks, Luke, Zack, Jamie, George and others work on the wagons and other projects.
· Superb new signs by Rod Hoyle installed.
· Heritage Open Days Weekend Event will be Saturday 11th September, 10-5, and Sunday 12th September, 10-4.
· Application for fund-raising scheme for this Event; also volunteers wanted to attend during Heritage Open Days Event - operate the box/help out on site etc - please let us know if/when you can attend, thank you.
Developing the Project....
We are an exciting, constantly developing project. If ever we were a sleepy backwater, we aren't now! (Though stopping to have a cup of tea is always on the agenda.)
But we are always looking for new volunteers - Romsey Signal Box needs YOU!
We operate a 'zero pressure' policy: any amount of volunteering is a bonus, full stop. 'Volunteering' is just that: you give whatever you want to of your time, and whatever you give is gratefully accepted. You're assured of a warm welcome, and the kettle's on pretty permanently....
Update posted by Peter Chatfield
Chairman, Friends of Romsey Signal Box